29.5 C
Tacloban City
April 04, 2025 - Friday | 10:08 AM
Home Blog Page 1551

DOH to recognize Calbayognons’ heroism as ‘Yolanda’ first responders

0

CALBAYOG CITY- The Department of Health (DOH)-Central Office through its Health Emergency Management headed by Dr. Carmencita A. Banatin is to give due recognition to the city government of Calbayog for being the first to bring to Tacloban City the complete response and the most needed relief efforts including psychosocial services just right after supertyphoon “Yolanda” (with international name “Haiyan”) made landfall on November 8 (a Friday) last year that resulted mass destruction and cause lose of thousands of lives in the city.

In an interview, City Health Officer Dr. Sylvia de Guzman, said that Regional Health Emergency Management Coordinator Dr. Fidelito Dico had already sent her an advance notice about the awarding scheduled on July 18 in Manila that looks toward an individual’s or the team’s heroism during such unusual event that was beyond their ordinary duties.

To receive award are Mayor Ronaldo P. Aquino, Police Supt Elmer Cinco (former Calbayog City police chief) and Dr. de Guzman. The team from Calbayog arrived in Tacloban a day after Yolanda pummeled Tacloban “with an immediate soothing relief” to the sorrow and desperation of the affected residents. Mayor Aquino personally headed the team that brought in the immediate basic needs of the survivors like food, water, and medicines.He was with P/Supt Cinco (who served as the team’s ground commander), and along with Cinco were a number of PNP uniformed personnel who also helped in the road clearing operations, rescue efforts, resource mobilization and most especially, in bringing back security presence in Tacloban as security vacuum was experienced elsewhere after the typhoon because majority of local law enforcers themselves had been victimized by the super typhoon.

Likewise, Dr. de Guzman’s team helped those injured and provided emergency and basic medical and surgical services to the affected when they temporarily manned Eastern Visayas Regional Medical Center (EVRMC) as hospital’s staffs were also victims themselves. After Tacloban, same team went also to other Yolanda-hit areas like Marabut, Basey, Albuera, Capoocan and Tanauan to deliver same services. These efforts of the city government of Calbayog with other coordinating agencies continue until survivors learn to cope with the loss of lives of their loved-ones, their homes and their livelihood. At present, Calbayog-LGU is also helping in the national government’s recovery and rebuilding efforts for the victims and survivors of Yolanda through its “Sagubay Waraynon” project. (AIMEE CATALAN/PR)

New group humanitarian mission arrived in Leyte

0

TACLOBAN CITY- The government of South Korea continues its assistance to Leyte, ravaged by supertyphoon Yolanda, as new batch of its humanitarian group arrived in the province.

Lt Myunghyun Baek, public relation officer of ROK (Republic of Korea) Force Araw Contingent said that more than 300 military personnel arrived, replacing the first batch of their humanitarian group.

Col. Chulwon Lee remains the commander of the mission.

The second batch will be divided into five groups- three groups will focus on rebuilding and rehabilitating public elementary schools while two groups will focus in rebuilding and rehabilitating houses of Filipino war veterans during the Korean War and other local government offices such as police stations, fire station, rural health office and senior citizens office.

The second batch will stay in the province until December of this year.

Furthermore, Korean soldier part of the first batch shared what they had noticed in their experience on the six months of their stay here in Leyte.
Baek recalled that they were shocked on the extent of damage caused by Yolanda when they first arrived in Leyte.

Lt Dae Hueng Hwang said that teaching the Korean language to the residents of Palo and Tacloban made his stay more memorable as this reminded him his stay in the country when he studied his college at the University of Sto. Tomas.

He added that as an interpreter of the Korean forces, he was exposed in meeting people like those who are living in the villages.
“They always welcome Korean soldiers and appreciate us,” Hwang said. (ROEL T. AMAZONA)

More than 22,000 toilets distributed to various barangays in EV hit by Yolanda

0

TACLOBAN CITY- The Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Cluster have built at least 22,063 toilets in the Visayas region areas affected by super typhoon Yolanda. WASH Cluster, composed of several humanitarian groups, started transitioning from life-saving intervention to early recovery planning and implementation in December 2013.

This included not only to restoration of communal and household level water and sanitation facilities, but also strengthening of governance and resilience at local levels.
As reported in the Philippine humanitarian response site, significant progress is being made in the roll out of the Philippine Approach to Total Sanitation (PHaTS) across Leyte and Eastern Samar.

The 22,063 toilets provided by various groups involving the WASH Cluster, was based on the June 19. However, another 2,579 latrines were constructed benefitting 12,891 people.

There are informal reports of more than 20 barangays across Leyte and Samar are ready to declare themselves a “zero open defecation” barangays.
It is working on the importance of water system infrastructure and water quality. In May, 2,460 people benefited from 12 systems upgrade. A desalination water treatment plant was also commissioned in Tacloban City at Eastern Visayas Regional Medical Center (EVRMC).

As the pressure to provide long-term durable shelter solutions continues to mount, significant numbers of relocation sites are being developed by local government units and the private sector across Haiyan affected areas without adequate planning to construct WASH facilities. The upcoming rainy season also presents a heighted risk of vector and water borne diseases like dengue fever.

Health has also reported issues with community members unwilling to undertake dengue monitoring and sanitation cleaning activities without payment of cash- for- work.

Significant investment has been directed towards the capacity-building of government staff at all levels. Improvements are evident in some areas.
However, significant efforts are still required before the Cluster can fully transfer their responsibilities to the respected government counterparts. (AIRYLL A.YAPOC, LNU Intern)

P13.23 million proposed to rehab ICT industry of Eastern Visayas

0
A member of a contingent of the Sangyaw Festival hold dearly an image of Senior Santo Niño, during the Sangyaw Festival on June 29.Typhoon survivors believed that they survived Yolanda’s fury due to the intervention of the Child Jesus.(LITO A. BAGUNAS)
A member of a contingent of the Sangyaw Festival hold dearly an image of Senior Santo Niño, during the Sangyaw Festival on June 29.Typhoon survivors believed that they survived Yolanda’s fury due to the intervention of the Child Jesus.(LITO A. BAGUNAS)
A member of a contingent of the Sangyaw Festival hold dearly an image of Senior Santo Niño, during the Sangyaw Festival on June 29.Typhoon survivors believed that they survived Yolanda’s fury due to the intervention of the Child Jesus.(LITO A. BAGUNAS)

TACLOBAN CITY – The Eastern Visayas Federation for Information Technology (EVFIT) Committee is proposing a P13.23 million rehabilitation project to restore the region’s shattered ICT industry in the next three years.

EVFIT chairman Edgardo Esperancilla, regional director of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST), said they are lobbying for the inclusion of the region’s proposed ICT restoration activities in the livelihood cluster rehabilitation funds.

“About 5,000 people working in the local ICT industry have lost their jobs due to damaged infrastructure. The impact of super typhoon Yolanda is a setback to our long-term plan to double the number of people employed in ICT,” Esperancilla told Leyte Samar Daily Express.

The region has more than a thousand workers in Expert Global Solutions (EGS), a call center firm with site in the Leyte ICT Park in Palo, Leyte. There are about 4,000 people involved in non-voice business process outsourcing and online-based ICT jobs. EGS has not yet announced reopening plans. “The ICT industry suffered a lot of losses due to damaged infrastructure and unstable internet connectivity. The immediate needs are to repair buildings and restore internet speed, which we are proposing for prioritization in early reconstruction activities,” Esperancilla said.

Of the total proposed budget for recovery, P4.5 million is needed in 2014, P4.36 million in 2015, and P4.36 million in 2015. The budget will mainly be used for conduct of post-Yolanda baseline survey and ICT research, consultations with stakeholders, developing the ICT industry rehabilitation plan, conduct of boot camp for startups, search for ICT-enabled local small and medium enterprises for funding, production of promotional collaterals (website, brochures, exhibit, multimedia presentations, and media kits).

“After Yolanda, the situation has changed. There are many questions that need answers. We need to have a pool of experts who will help us identify new priorities,” Esperancilla said.

The original ICT plan targeted 13,000 direct employment in the next five years with 8,000 in non-voice business processing outsourcing (BPO) and 5,000 in voice BPO. A total of 32,000 indirect jobs were projected in this sector by 2016.

DOST Leyte provincial director John Glenn Ocaña said that before the storm struck, one of the strengths of the local is the linkage of national government agencies, academe, and private sector in developing strategies to promote Eastern Visayas as ICT hub. The industry has been identified as on the three priority sectors in the 2014-2016 Regional Development Plan.

“Unfortunately, as the region was beginning to flap its new found wings in the ICT sector, Yolanda came and washed away the gains,” Ocaña said. Leyte has two designated ICT parks – the 6.8-hectare Leyte ICT Park approved in 2005 and the 22-hectare Leyte Mikyu Economic Zone approved in 2012. (SARWELL Q.MENIANO)

No cash for Yolanda victims, Dinky said

0
Leyte Representative Ferdinand Martin “FM” Romualdez good naturedly throws apples and some goodies to the throng of people who watched the Sangyaw Festival on June 29 in the streets of Tacloban. Tacloban marked its 125th annual fiesta on June 30 this year.(LITO A. BAGUNAS)
Leyte Representative Ferdinand Martin “FM” Romualdez good naturedly throws apples and some goodies to the throng of people who watched the Sangyaw Festival on June 29 in the streets of Tacloban. Tacloban marked its 125th annual fiesta on June 30 this year.(LITO A. BAGUNAS)
Leyte Representative Ferdinand Martin “FM” Romualdez good naturedly throws apples and some goodies to the throng of people who watched the Sangyaw Festival on June 29 in the streets of Tacloban. Tacloban marked its 125th annual fiesta on June 30 this year.(LITO A. BAGUNAS)

ORMOC CITY- The regional Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD-8) reiterated its stand not to give cash aid to victims of super typhoon Yolanda and asked groups to stop spreading cash grant distribution rumors.

“The government will not give cash to victims. The proposal is P40, 000 for each of the 280,000 families. That will cost about billions of pesos. Instead, we will use government resources for more sustainable activities such as restoration of livelihood,” said DSWD Secretary Corazon “Dinky” Soliman during her visit to Ormoc on June 23.

Soliman said the government has also been investing on cash-for- work, cash- for-build and other similar schemes that requires sacrifice on the part of recipients.
She reminded the public not to believe on rumors, especially that the proposal has been repeatedly rejected by President Benigno Aquino III. The People Surge, a group composed of Yolanda victims, demanded for the government to give them P40, 000, continue food assistance, among others. They even attempted to enter Malacañang to personally hand their petition letter to the President only to be reportedly rebuffed. Meanwhile, Soliman said the DSWD continues its relief goods distribution in calamity-stricken areas, but recipients have been selected through coordination with local government units and humanitarian relief organizations.

“The relief goods, distributed every two weeks, consist of 25 kilograms of rice and 20 pieces of canned every two weeks. We just give it to families who are really in need of immediate assistance,” she added.

Non-recipients of food packs are being listed in the DSWD cash-for-work programs and livelihood assistance. Soliman dismissed reports that the DSWD has been distributing less than 25 kilograms packs of rice.

“All rice packs from DSWD are 25 kilograms. If people are getting less than that, it must be from non-government organizations.” She urged the public to text or call their hotline 09209463766 if a household receives less than 25 kilograms. The official vowed to investigate complaints. (SARWELL Q.MENIANO)

Health workers attends confab on DOH programs

0

TACLOBAN CITY – To give updates on the different Department of Health programs, the DOH Representatives in all municipalities in the region conducted their semi-annual meeting at Asia Stars Hotel on June 17-18, 2014.

DOH-Rep advocates the different programs of the department such as Family Planning, Expanded Program for Organizations, Maternal Care, Child and Nutrition, Leprosy Control Program, Tuberculosis Control Program, among others.

Aside from the updates on the various DOH programs, they presented their accomplishments and discussed gaps and issues on problems encountered in the field between local government unit and the DOH.

DOH-Rep point person Lucia Milagros Abantao said that their role in the municipality is that they serve as the conduit or linkage between the DOH and the LGU. (REINALORE P. GUIMBAOLIBOT)

Recent Posts

DALMACIO C. GRAFIL
PUBLISHER

ALMA GRAFIL
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

ROMEO CEBREROS
OFFICE IN-CHARGE

OFFICE
BRGY. SONGCO, BORONGAN CITY

CONTACT NUMBERS
(055) 261 – 3319 | 0955 251 1533 | 0917 771 0320 | 0915 897 7439 | 0921 511 0010

DALMACIO C. GRAFIL
PUBLISHER

RICKY J. BAUTISTA
EDITOR

ALMA GRAFIL
BUS. MANAGER

OFFICE
RIZAL AVENUE, CATBALOGAN
(INFRONT OF FIRE DEPARTMENT, NEAR CITY HALL)

CONTACT NUMBERS
0917 771 0320 | 0915 897 7439 | 0921 511 0010

EMAIL
lsdaily2@yahoo.com

WEBSITE
www.issuu.com/samarweeklyexpress