28.1 C
Tacloban City
May 19, 2026 - Tuesday | 10:39 AM
Home Blog Page 4

High-value drug suspect arrested in buy-bust operation in Naval, Biliran

0
BUY-BUST OPERATION.Law enforcement personnel from the Naval Municipal Police Station, the Provincial Drug Enforcement Unit, and PDEA Region 8 present the arrested suspect and confiscated suspected shabu during a buy-bust operation in Barangay Larrazabal, Naval, Biliran. (Naval MPS)
BUY-BUST OPERATION.Law enforcement personnel from the Naval Municipal Police Station, the Provincial Drug Enforcement Unit, and PDEA Region 8 present the arrested suspect and confiscated suspected shabu during a buy-bust operation in Barangay Larrazabal, Naval, Biliran. (Naval MPS)

ORMOC CITY — A suspected high-value drug personality listed as Rank 9 in the Regional Priority Target List was arrested in a buy-bust operation conducted by law enforcement units in Sitio San Roque, Barangay Larrazabal, Naval, Biliran on Monday afternoon, May 11.
The suspect, identified as alias “Nate,” 57, married, and a self-employed resident of Barangay Larrazabal, was apprehended at around 4:05 p.m. during an operation led by the Station Drug Enforcement Team of the Naval Municipal Police Station in coordination with the Provincial Drug Enforcement Unit of the Biliran Provincial Police Office and the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency Region 8.

Police said the suspect is considered a high-value individual on the Philippine National Police drug watchlist.

Recovered from the suspect was one sachet containing a white crystalline substance believed to be shabu, which was purchased by an undercover operative for P500. A follow-up search also yielded another sachet of suspected shabu hidden inside a Nescafé stick wrapper, along with the marked buy-bust money.

Authorities said the suspect was informed of the nature of his arrest and was apprised of his constitutional rights in a language he understood.

Charges for violations of Republic Act 9165, or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002, have been filed before the Provincial Prosecutor’s Office. The suspect is currently detained at the lock-up cell of the Naval Municipal Police Station.

(ROBERT DEJON)

Abandoned newborn found inside parked vehicle in Tacloban

0

TACLOBAN CITY — A newborn baby left inside a parked multicab in Barangay 107, Sta. Elena on Tuesday night was rescued after residents alerted police authorities, the Police Regional Office 8 (PRO-8) said.

According to an initial police report, a concerned resident sought assistance after discovering the infant inside a paper bag placed in the parked vehicle at around 10:32 p.m. on May 12.

Responding personnel from the City Mobile Force Company and Police Station 3 of the Tacloban City Police Office immediately proceeded to the area and secured the child before emergency responders arrived.

Authorities later coordinated with the Women and Children Protection Desk, the City Social Welfare and Development Office, and the Tacloban Rescue Unit to provide the infant with medical attention and temporary care.

Investigators said the baby still had an uncut umbilical cord and traces of dried blood on the hair, indicating that the child had only recently been delivered before being abandoned.
B/Gen. Jason Capoy, regional director of PRO-8, said the successful rescue underscored the importance of cooperation between residents and law enforcement authorities in responding to emergencies involving vulnerable individuals.

Police are continuing their investigation to identify the person responsible for abandoning the newborn.

(BLUE REUGINE RUTHIELLE LIM NICOLAS, LNU STUDENT INTERN)

Borongan City records country’s highest heat index at 48°C amid dry season

0

TACLOBAN CITY — Extreme heat continues to grip Eastern Samar after Borongan City registered a heat index of 48 degrees Celsius on May 11, the highest recorded in the country so far this 2026 dry season, according to the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa).

Pagasa classified the reading under the “danger” level, warning that prolonged exposure to such extreme heat conditions may lead to heat cramps, heat exhaustion, and even heat stroke.

Based on Pagasa’s monitoring, Borongan topped all other weather stations nationwide in terms of computed heat index, highlighting the intensity of the ongoing warm and dry season affecting Eastern Visayas.

The heat index reflects the temperature felt by the human body, combining actual air temperature and humidity levels. High humidity reduces the body’s ability to cool down through perspiration, making conditions feel significantly hotter than the actual air temperature.

With the continued threat of extreme heat, PAGASA advised the public to limit outdoor activities during peak hours from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., stay hydrated, and wear light, breathable clothing to reduce the risk of heat-related illnesses.

Local authorities also urged residents—particularly senior citizens, children, outdoor workers, and individuals with existing health conditions—to take extra precautions as the region continues to experience intense heat conditions.

Despite occasional rain showers brought by the easterlies, PAGASA said hot and humid weather will likely persist in Eastern Visayas in the coming days.

(ROCHELLE MORILLA, LNU Student Intern)

DPWH-NSFDEO celebrates ‘Ease of Doing Business’ month

0

Catarman N. Samar– The Department of Public Works and Highways-Northern Samar 1st DEO joins the nation in celebrating the month of May as “Ease of Doing Business (EODB) Month,” in accordance with Presidential Proclamation No. 818, s. 2025.

This month-long observance aims to promote transparency, accountability, and responsive government service delivery to enhance the ease of doing business across the country.
As part of the kickoff activities, DPWH-NSFDEO displayed the official EODB Month roll-up banner at the customer service area and main building façade to promote awareness.

On the first Monday of the month of May 2026, the district also incorporated a dedicated segment during the Flag Raising Ceremony, wherein the Public Information designate Ms. Analiza A. Pabia briefly discussed the agency’s commitments to ease of doing business, presented client experience and satisfaction, showcased strategic thrusts which are strictly aligned with RA 11032 and a brief overview of the scheduled EODB month activities to ensure maximum participation and awareness among all personnel.

Meanwhile, District Engineer Alvin A. Ignacio urged all personnel to remain citizen-centered in the delivery of public service and encouraged them to actively participate in and extend full support to Ease of Doing Business (EODB)-related activities.

(ANALIZA A. PABIA/PR)

Police arrest two most wanted persons in separate Leyte and Southern Leyte operations

0

ORMOC CITY — Authorities arrested two individuals listed as most wanted persons in separate law enforcement operations in Southern Leyte and Leyte on May 13 and 14, 2026, police reports said.

In Southern Leyte, personnel of the Liloan Municipal Police Station (MPS), supported by the 2nd Southern Leyte Police Mobile Force Company, arrested the municipality’s Rank No. 1 Most Wanted Person at around 10:30 a.m. on May 14 in Barangay Malangsa, Liloan.

The suspect was identified as Dionesio Sajol, 50, a laborer and resident of the said village.
Police said the arrest was carried out by virtue of a warrant for four counts of rape under Article 266-A (1)(D) of the Revised Penal Code, as amended by Republic Act 11648.
The cases were docketed under Criminal Case Nos. R-2500, R-2501, R-2502, and R-2503, issued on May 12, 2026, by Judge Fabio T. Albao Jr. of the Regional Trial Court Branch 39 in Sogod, Southern Leyte. No bail was recommended.

The accused is now under the custody of Liloan MPS for proper legal disposition.
Meanwhile, in Leyte, police arrested the province’s No. 4 Most Wanted Person at around 8:00 p.m. on May 13 in Poblacion District 1, MacArthur town.

The suspect was identified as Elson Estorpe, 26, also a laborer and resident of MacArthur, Leyte.

Authorities served a warrant dated July 21, 2025, for statutory rape issued by the Regional Trial Court Branch 10 in Abuyog, Leyte, also with no bail recommended.

He is currently under the custody of the MacArthur Municipal Police Station for documentation and proper disposition.

(ELVIE ROMAN ROA)

Arteche’s community garden program earns national anti-hunger recognition

0
FOOD SUFFICIENCY. Officials from the Municipality of Arteche, led by its Acting Mayor Roland “Boie” Bowad Evardone, receive recognition during the Walang Gutom Awards after the town’s “One Barangay, One Gulay Program” was named among the Top 10 Outstanding Anti-Hunger Initiatives nationwide. (ARTECHE LOVES YOU FACEBOOK)
FOOD SUFFICIENCY. Officials from the Municipality of Arteche, led by its Acting Mayor Roland “Boie” Bowad Evardone, receive recognition during the Walang Gutom Awards after the town’s “One Barangay, One Gulay Program” was named among the Top 10 Outstanding Anti-Hunger Initiatives nationwide.
(ARTECHE LOVES YOU FACEBOOK)

TACLOBAN CITY — The municipality of Arteche, Eastern Samar has been recognized nationally after its “One Barangay, One Gulay Program” was named among the Top 10 Outstanding Anti-Hunger Initiatives during the Walang Gutom Awards organized by the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) held on Tuesday, May 12.

The recognition came with a P2-million grant that will support the expansion and strengthening of the municipality’s food sustainability and community gardening programs.
Acting Mayor Roland “Boie” Bowad Evardone and Municipal Agriculturist Antonio Luceres Jr. received the award on behalf of the local government unit during the awarding ceremony, where Evardone presented Arteche’s anti-hunger initiative before a panel of judges.

The “One Barangay, One Gulay Program” promotes backyard and community gardening as a strategy to improve food security and ensure that families in every barangay have access to fresh and nutritious food. The initiative encourages participation from residents, farmers, barangay officials, and local government agencies in sustaining vegetable production at the community level.

Local officials said the program has become a model of grassroots collaboration in addressing hunger and promoting self-sufficiency among communities.

Arteche was the only municipality from Eastern Samar included among the national awardees. Also recognized during the Walang Gutom Awards were the local government units of Palompon and Baybay City, both in Leyte.

The Walang Gutom Awards is a joint initiative of the Department of Social Welfare and Development and the Galing Pook Foundation in support of the national government’s campaign to achieve a hunger-free Philippines.

(ROEL T. AMAZONA)

Recent Posts

DALMACIO C. GRAFIL
PUBLISHER

ALMA GRAFIL
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

ROMEO CEBREROS
OFFICE IN-CHARGE

OFFICE
BRGY. SONGCO, BORONGAN CITY

CONTACT NUMBERS
(055) 261 – 3319 | 0955 251 1533 | 0917 771 0320 | 0915 897 7439 | 0921 511 0010

DALMACIO C. GRAFIL
PUBLISHER

RICKY J. BAUTISTA
EDITOR

ALMA GRAFIL
BUS. MANAGER

OFFICE
RIZAL AVENUE, CATBALOGAN
(INFRONT OF FIRE DEPARTMENT, NEAR CITY HALL)

CONTACT NUMBERS
0917 771 0320 | 0915 897 7439 | 0921 511 0010

EMAIL
lsdaily2@yahoo.com

WEBSITE
www.issuu.com/samarweeklyexpress