22.5 C
Tacloban City
February 18, 2026 - Wednesday | 1:58 AM
Home Blog Page 62

ESSU produces four LEPT topnotchers, earns praise from Rep. Gonzales

0
BOARD PLACERS. The Eastern Samar State University (ESSU) produced board passers in this year’s Licensure Examination for Professional Teachers (LEPT), drawing praise from Eastern Samar Lone District Rep. Christopher Sheen Gonzales. Among them was Katherine Joy Elem who ranked No. 7 in the elementary level, who posted of 92.80 percent. Jennifer Bacula, also placed seventh place with the same rating. (PHOTO COURTESY)
BOARD PLACERS. The Eastern Samar State University (ESSU) produced board passers in this year’s Licensure Examination for Professional Teachers (LEPT), drawing praise from Eastern Samar Lone District Rep. Christopher Sheen Gonzales. Among them was Katherine Joy Elem who ranked No. 7 in the elementary level, who posted of 92.80 percent. Jennifer Bacula, also placed seventh place with the same rating.
(PHOTO COURTESY)

TACLOBAN CITY — Eastern Samar State University (ESSU) has once again made its mark in teacher education after four of its graduates landed in the Top 10 of the 2025 Licensure Examination for Professional Teachers (LEPT), drawing praise from Eastern Samar Lone District Rep. Christopher Sheen Gonzales.

Based on the results of the September and November 2025 LEPT released by the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) on December 18, ESSU College of Education graduates Jennifer Bacula and Katherine Joy Elem both ranked No. 7 in the elementary level, each posting an identical rating of 92.80 percent.

In the secondary level, ESSU graduates Aira Shane Nicart and Chris Anthony Gajelan secured No. 9 and No. 10 spots, respectively, with ratings of 93.20 percent and 93.00 percent.

Gonzales described the achievement as a source of pride not only for ESSU but for the entire province, noting that it reflects the university’s sustained commitment to quality teacher education.

“Jennifer, Katherine, Aira Shane, and Chris Anthony exemplify academic excellence, discipline, and dedication. Their achievement reflects not only their personal effort but also the quality of training and mentorship provided by ESSU’s College of Education,” Gonzales said.

“They have brought honor to Eastern Samar and inspired a new generation of future teachers,” he added.

The lawmaker also congratulated all examinees who passed the licensure examination, underscoring the vital role of teachers in nation-building.

“Teaching is one of the most important professions in our society. It shapes minds, values, and the future of our country. Your success is a victory for Philippine education,” Gonzales said.

Gonzales expressed optimism about employment prospects for newly licensed teachers, citing ongoing government efforts to expand the public school workforce to address classroom shortages and improve instructional quality.

Earlier this month, the Department of Education (DepEd) announced plans to hire 32,916 new classroom teachers in 2026 through the creation of an equal number of Teacher I positions.

“With thousands of new teaching positions authorized by Congress, our newly licensed teachers can be optimistic about securing meaningful and purpose-driven employment,” Gonzales said.

He added that Congress remains committed to improving teachers’ welfare, noting that he has filed several measures aimed at enhancing compensation and overall support for public school teachers, including a proposal to triple the annual World Teachers’ Day Incentive Benefit.

(LIZBETH ANN A. ABELLA)

Eastern Visayas registers decline in total value of exports and imports in August 2025

0

TACLOBAN CITY– In August 2025, the balance of trade in goods (BoT-G) of Eastern Visayas bounced to USD 16.64 million surplus, from a trade deficit of USD 5.71 million in August 2024.

Significant declines were noted in export and import. Total value of exports dropped by 77.6 percent from USD 130.68 million in August 2024 to USD 29.31 million in August 2025. Moreover, total value of imports dropped by 90.7 percent from USD 136.39 million in August 2024 to USD 12.66 million in August 2025.

The total external trade of the region in August 2025 posted at USD 41.97 million was 84.3 percent lower than the USD 267.07 million recorded in August 2024.

The total volume of goods exported by the region in August 2025 reached 958.50 million kilograms, substantially higher than the 67.88 million kilograms of goods exported in August 2024. The commodity group of ore, slag and ash comprised more than two-fifth (41.7%) of the total value of exports in August 2025 at USD 12.22 million. The region’s exports to Malaysia and People’s Republic of China amounted to USD 9.83 million and USD 9.77 million, respectively, with each market accounting for more than one-third of the total export value in August 2025.

The region imported 109.87 million kilograms of goods in August 2025. This was 15.7 percent higher than the 94.96 million kilograms of goods imported in August 2024. Imported cereals commodity group worth USD 5.14 million comprised the bulk of the imports at 40.6 percent of the total value of imports in August 2025. Vietnam was the top import supplier in August 2025, with imports valued at USD 5.34 million, which comprised 42.2 percent of the total import value. (PR)

DPWH completes P14.5-M road project in Jaro village, boosting safety and access

0

TACLOBAN CITY — Residents of Barangay La Paz in Jaro, Leyte are now enjoying safer and easier travel following the completion of a 1.5-kilometer road concreting project by the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH)–Leyte 2nd District Engineering Office.
The newly completed project involved the construction of a Portland Cement Concrete Pavement (PCCP) complemented by reflectorized thermoplastic pavement markings, aimed at improving road safety, particularly at night and during adverse weather conditions.

District Engineer Leo Edward Oppura said the project will significantly improve mobility and accessibility for residents of Barangay La Paz and nearby communities.

“This newly completed road will ease transportation challenges and support economic and social activities within the barangay,” Oppura said, adding that the project enhances overall road safety for motorists and pedestrians.

Barangay La Paz Chairperson Adolfo Barraza said the improved road has already brought major relief to residents, particularly farmers and students.

“Before, transporting our products was very difficult, especially when going to the town proper. Now, many are thankful—first and foremost the residents who are benefiting from this project. There is great joy and gratitude because our barangay has finally been given a proper road,” Barraza said.

He added that flooding and poor road conditions previously made travel difficult, especially for students.

“Our situation is much better now because vehicles can already pass through smoothly. Before, it was hard because the road would get flooded, and students had to walk just to get to school,” he said.

Barraza also expressed his gratitude to the DPWH for responding to the long-standing request of the community.

“I am thankful to the DPWH for granting our long-requested road project,” he said.
The project had a total allocation of P14.5 million under the DPWH CY 2025 General Appropriations Act (GAA) and was implemented by 4Angle Construction. It was completed on October 14, 2025.

DPWH officials said the project reflects the agency’s continued commitment to upgrading infrastructure in remote and underserved communities, helping build a more connected, resilient, and inclusive road network across the district.

(LIZBETH ANN A. ABELLA)

DOLE extends livelihood aid to transport workers hit by San Juanico Bridge repairs

0
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE. About 130 transport workers who were affected by the weight limit restriction imposed at the San Juanico Bridge received financial assistance from the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE). (PHOTO COURTESY)
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE. About 130 transport workers who were affected by the weight limit restriction imposed at the San Juanico Bridge received financial assistance from the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE). (PHOTO COURTESY)

TACLOBAN CITY — To cushion the economic impact of the ongoing rehabilitation of the San Juanico Bridge, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has released P2 million in livelihood assistance to transport groups whose operations and incomes have been severely affected by traffic restrictions on the vital Leyte–Samar link.

The aid benefited five transport cooperatives and companies, covering 130 transport workers, including drivers and conductors, whose daily earnings have declined following the reduction in trips across the iconic bridge.

Under DOLE’s Adjustment Measures Program (AMP), each recipient received P400,000 to establish alternative livelihood projects such as auto repair shops and car wash businesses. The beneficiaries include the Basey, Cabalawan Ridgeview, Sta. Rita, and Villareal transport cooperatives, as well as JM Sanico Liner Corporation.

The ongoing bridge rehabilitation has forced public utility vehicles to cut back on daily trips and adjust schedules, significantly reducing income for transport workers who rely on regular cross-island travel.

In a statement, DOLE-8 said the livelihood assistance is intended not only to help beneficiaries maintain their transport units but also to enable them to generate income by offering services to walk-in customers within their communities.

Transport cooperative officials thanked DOLE for the timely support, noting that the program provides them with a practical way to cope with the economic strain brought about by the rehabilitation works while allowing them to continue contributing to the local economy.

Aside from the transport sector, DOLE also released an additional P3 million in AMP grants to eight other businesses in Eastern Visayas, aimed at preventing layoffs and supporting micro, small, and medium enterprises (MSMEs) facing operational challenges.

The Adjustment Measures Program serves as a national safety net for workers and enterprises affected by economic disruptions, offering a combination of training, financial assistance, and livelihood support to help sustain jobs and maintain workforce stability.

(ROEL T. AMAZONA)

11 former rebels in Samar receive safe conduct passes under gov’t amnesty program

0

TACLOBAN CITY — The government has taken another step in advancing its peace and reconciliation efforts in Samar after 11 former rebels were granted safe conduct passes (SCPs), allowing them to move freely and safely while their applications for amnesty are being processed.

The Local Amnesty Board (LAB) of Catbalogan City issued the SCPs during a distribution ceremony on Dec.15 held at the Matuguinao Municipal Hall, in coordination with local government officials, the Philippine Army, and the Philippine National Police. The activity forms part of the national government’s amnesty program aimed at encouraging former insurgents to return to the fold of the law and reintegrate into civilian life.

SCPs are issued by the National Amnesty Commission to amnesty applicants who are not in detention. The document guarantees safe passage and protection for its holders while their applications are under review by the Office of the President, provided the passes are not revoked for violations of their conditions.

The ceremony was supported by 2nd Lieutenant Ricky Isiderio, commanding officer of Alpha Company, 19th Infantry Battalion, and Police Executive Master Sergeant Alberto Vencio of the Matuguinao Police Station, along with members of the LAB Secretariat.

In his welcome remarks, Isiderio commended the beneficiaries for their decision to abandon armed struggle and pursue a lawful and peaceful life, noting that the government remains committed to supporting their transition.

Meanwhile, PEMSgt Vencio reminded the recipients of their responsibilities as SCP holders, stressing that the document covers only offenses related to their previous involvement in the insurgency and does not grant immunity for crimes committed after its issuance.

Prior to the distribution, the LAB Secretariat conducted a briefing to ensure that beneficiaries clearly understood the guidelines, limitations, and conditions governing the use of the SCPs.

One of the beneficiaries, during the ceremony, delivered an emotional testimonial expressing remorse for her past actions and asked forgiveness from the government. She admitted her earlier role in recruiting individuals into the movement while serving as a barangay official.

(ROEL T. AMAZONA)

PRO-8 rolls out ‘Oplan Bantay Kalsada,’ deploys 258 cops to accident-prone roads in Eastern Visayas

0
POLICE VISIBILITY. To help maintain peace and order during the holiday season, more than 200 police personnel were deployed by the Police Regional Office 8 to public places and major streets across Eastern Visayas. (PRO-8 FACEBOOK)
POLICE VISIBILITY. To help maintain peace and order during the holiday season, more than 200 police personnel were deployed by the Police Regional Office 8 to public places and major streets across Eastern Visayas. (PRO-8 FACEBOOK)

TACLOBAN CITY — Seeking to reduce road accidents and strengthen traffic law enforcement across Eastern Visayas, the Police Regional Office 8 (PRO-8) has deployed 258 road patrollers under a newly launched initiative dubbed “Oplan Bantay Kalsada.”

The program, officially launched on December 23, 2025, places police personnel along major highways and identified accident-prone areas in Leyte and Tacloban City to improve police visibility, ensure faster response to road incidents, and strictly enforce traffic and safety laws.

Oplan Bantay Kalsada is a regional road safety initiative conceptualized by PRO-8 Regional Director PB/Gen. Jason Capoy as part of the police force’s broader public safety and accident-prevention strategy, particularly during periods of increased vehicular traffic.
Of the total personnel deployed, 100 road patrollers were assigned to the Leyte Police Provincial Office (LPPO), while 158 personnel were deployed under the Tacloban City Police Office (TCPO). PRO-8 said the patrollers will be strategically positioned in high-risk areas where traffic accidents frequently occur.

Capoy said the initiative highlights the police force’s proactive approach to road safety, emphasizing prevention rather than mere response.

“With the implementation of Oplan Bantay Kalsada, PRO-8 is taking a firm stand in protecting every road user through enhanced visibility, timely response, and strict enforcement of traffic laws. This program reflects our commitment to reducing road accidents and promoting discipline among motorists across Eastern Visayas,” Capoy said.

The launch was marked by a blessing and send-off ceremony held at the PRO-8 Grandstand attended by police officers who will serve as road patrollers under the program.

PRO-8 said the initiative also aims to strengthen coordination among police units and other stakeholders to ensure safer road conditions and sustained enforcement of traffic regulations throughout the region.

(LIZBETH ANN A. ABELLA)

Recent Posts

DALMACIO C. GRAFIL
PUBLISHER

ALMA GRAFIL
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

ROMEO CEBREROS
OFFICE IN-CHARGE

OFFICE
BRGY. SONGCO, BORONGAN CITY

CONTACT NUMBERS
(055) 261 – 3319 | 0955 251 1533 | 0917 771 0320 | 0915 897 7439 | 0921 511 0010

DALMACIO C. GRAFIL
PUBLISHER

RICKY J. BAUTISTA
EDITOR

ALMA GRAFIL
BUS. MANAGER

OFFICE
RIZAL AVENUE, CATBALOGAN
(INFRONT OF FIRE DEPARTMENT, NEAR CITY HALL)

CONTACT NUMBERS
0917 771 0320 | 0915 897 7439 | 0921 511 0010

EMAIL
lsdaily2@yahoo.com

WEBSITE
www.issuu.com/samarweeklyexpress