22.1 C
Tacloban City
February 18, 2026 - Wednesday | 4:16 AM
Home Blog Page 7

Tacloban council reasserts HUC status, seeks clear separation from Leyte province

0

TACLOBAN CITY — The Tacloban City council has reaffirmed the city’s status as a highly urbanized city (HUC), urging national government agencies to strictly recognize its administrative independence from the provincial government of Leyte.

Through Resolution No. 2025-16-62, unanimously approved during the council’s regular session on October 9, 2025 at the New City Hall, the Sangguniang Panlungsod directed national offices to exclude Tacloban from communications and official correspondences involving the provincial government of Leyte.

City officials said the measure was adopted to prevent administrative confusion and ensure that all government transactions reflect Tacloban’s legal standing as an HUC, which operates separately from the province under existing laws.

Tacloban was converted into an HUC through Proclamation No. 1637 issued in 2008 by then President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo. The change in status was ratified by city voters in a plebiscite held on December 18, 2008.

Under the Local Government Code, cities that meet specific population and income requirements may be classified as highly urbanized. As an HUC, Tacloban is independent of provincial supervision, and its residents do not vote for provincial officials.

Copies of the resolution were transmitted to the Office of City Mayor, Alfred Romualdez, and to concerned national government agencies for their information and appropriate action.

The city government emphasized that the resolution reinforces Tacloban’s fiscal, political, and administrative autonomy while maintaining coordination with neighboring local governments on regional development initiatives.

(LIZBETH ANN A. ABELLA)

63rd bridges government’s presence closer to remote community of Samar

0
LIVELIHOOD SUPPORT. The 63rd Infantry (Innovator) Battalion, in partnership with the Department of Social Welfare and Development, turns over a Rice Mill Sustainable Livelihood Project to 25 farmers of Sitio Bagti, Mabini, Basey, Samar on Feb. 9, 2026. Army officials said the initiative highlights a people-centered approach to peace and development, strengthening community support and access to government services in geographically isolated areas. (63rd IB Facebook)
LIVELIHOOD SUPPORT. The 63rd Infantry (Innovator) Battalion, in partnership with the Department of Social Welfare and Development, turns over a Rice Mill Sustainable Livelihood Project to 25 farmers of Sitio Bagti, Mabini, Basey, Samar on Feb. 9, 2026. Army officials said the initiative highlights a people-centered approach to peace and development, strengthening community support and access to government services in geographically isolated areas. (63rd IB Facebook)

BASEY, Samar-Far, isolated, and disillusioned. These were the words often regarded for the locals of Sitio Bagti, Barangay Mabini, Basey, Samar. As the tide continues to turn, communities previously corrupted with insurgency can now testify that government services do not always come with fanfare, but with soldiers and social workers who listen to the pleas of the common people.

In its continuing efforts to strengthen peace, development, security, and cooperation in geographically isolated areas, the 63rd Infantry (Innovator) Battalion, alongside the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), conducted the Turn-Over Ceremony of the Rice Mill Sustainable Livelihood Project to 25 farmers of Sitio Bagti, Mabini, Basey, Samar, on February 09, 2026.

For the locals, the livelihood project served as a contrast to the empty promises they had heard in the past that the insurgency groups used to exploit communities. Instead of intimidation and extortion, they experienced diplomatic dialogues, and fear was further replaced with reassurance.

Mario Cabigayan, President of the Bagti Farmers’ Association, shared his appreciation for the consistent government support for Sitio. Bagti. “Dako an amon pasalamat sa gobyerno ngan kasundalohan han 63rd Infantry Battalion kay waray ninyo kami pabay-e,” he said. (Huge thanks for the government and soldiers of the 63rd Infantry Battalion for they had never forsaken us.)

Lieutenant Colonel Ricky James L. Rosalejos, Commanding Officer of the 63rd Infantry Battalion, argues that sustained community engagement is essential in ensuring that residents remain educated and supported by legitimate authorities.

“Peace is best sustained when communities feel protected, heard, and connected to government services. Our engagement in Sitio Bagti reflects the Philippine Army’s commitment to a people-centered approach in security operations,” he said. (PR)

LTFRB suspends Duptours franchise after 4 killed in Basey crash

0

TACLOBAN CITY — The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) in Eastern Visayas has imposed a 30-day preventive suspension on all units operating under the franchise of Duptours Shuttle Services Inc. following a fatal road crash in Basey, Samar that left four people dead.

The suspension order, issued upon the directive of LTFRB Regional Director Gualberto N. Gualberto, took effect immediately and will remain in force while authorities conduct an investigation and verify the operator’s compliance with transport regulations.

Covered by the suspension are all vehicles under the Duptours franchise, including the Toyota HiAce UV Express van involved in the February 10 accident along the national highway in Sitio Sugpuron, Barangay Balud, Basey.

Police said the van, which was plying the Borongan City–Tacloban City route, swerved into the opposite lane and crashed into a parked flatbed truck Tuesday morning. The vehicle was driven by a 54-year-old resident of Alangalang, Leyte, and was carrying nine passengers.

The driver and three female passengers — aged 71, 57, and another adult — were declared dead at the scene. Five other passengers sustained injuries and were rushed to Basey District Hospital for treatment.

As part of its regulatory mandate, the LTFRB directed the operator to require all its drivers to undergo mandatory drug testing at a Department of Health-accredited facility. Drivers must also attend an accredited Road Safety Seminar focusing on safe driving practices and fleet management responsibilities.

The LTFRB further ordered that all vehicles under the franchise be subjected to inspection to ensure their roadworthiness and mechanical fitness for public transport operations.
In addition, the LTFRB instructed the company to extend medical and hospitalization assistance to the injured passengers and provide support to the families of those who died, including help with funeral arrangements. The concerned insurance provider was also directed to immediately process and release passenger insurance claims.

In a statement, Duptours Shuttle Services Inc. said it would shoulder all hospital expenses of the injured passengers. The company also committed to provide P400,000 in financial assistance to each family of the fatalities to help cover funeral and burial costs.

Duptours management assured that it will coordinate closely with the victims’ families and concerned authorities as the investigation into the cause of the crash continues.

(LIZBETH ANN A. ABELLA)

PAF, PACAF conducts bilateral air patrol, enhances readiness and cooperation

0

The Philippine Air Force (PAF), together with the Pacific Air Forces (PACAF), conducted a Bilateral Bomber Air Patrol and Live Drop Exercise from February 2 to 6, 2026, at multiple locations, including Colonel Ernesto Rabina Air Base (CERAB), Tarlac City, and over the West Philippine Sea via the Luzon Strait, with support from the Special Operations Command Pacific (SOCPAC) and U.S. Marine Corps Forces, Pacific (MARFORPAC).

The bilateral engagement featured a series of coordinated air activities aimed at strengthening cooperation and interoperability between Philippine and U.S. forces. On February 2, 2026, the PAF and PACAF conducted a Live Drop Exercise at CERAB, involving PAF FA-50PH fighter aircraft and U.S. B-52 bomber aircraft, supported by joint planning and coordination elements from SOCPAC and MARFORPAC.

The exercise continued with an Air Defense scenario on February 4 over the West Philippine Sea, focusing on airspace coordination, command-and-control integration, and joint operational response. On February 6, the activity culminated in a Joint Bomber Air Patrol over the West Philippine Sea and Luzon Strait, highlighting combined mission planning, airspace coordination, and operational readiness among PAF, PACAF, and supporting U.S. forces.

These activities enhanced bilateral interoperability, operational readiness, and strategic cooperation through joint planning, coordination, and execution in a realistic training environment. Through these combined air activities and multi-domain support, the PAF continued to strengthen defense partnerships and reinforce its capability to safeguard national airspace and uphold sovereignty. (PR)

Diversion scheme

0

The rhetoric of top Philippine officials is quite bold in denouncing China on the West Philippine Sea issue. However, this bravery is nowhere to be found in dealing with the multi-billion-peso corruption issues in the Philippine government. This warrants further analysis.

There is no argument against the fact that the protection of Philippine sovereignty is the responsibility of every Philippine official. Eloquent denunciations against China on the West Philippine Sea issue may be appreciated by the public. However, making such denunciations requires much more courage than taking decisive action against allies, benefactors, and even political sponsors who may be involved in corrupt activities. While the Philippine government is quick to express its outrage against China on the West Philippine Sea issue, investigations into corruption activities within the Philippine government are going at a snail’s pace or, even worse, not conducted at all.

The Philippines has experienced several corruption scandals in recent years, involving billions of Philippine pesos in health, infrastructure, agriculture, and social protection funds. These funds are intended to build schools and hospitals and to provide for people in dire need of government assistance. These funds are being wasted in corruption activities much more directly and immediately than any vessel in the West Philippine Sea.

This phenomenon also raises an uncomfortable question about what is considered a priority. There is much to gain by confronting China. In fact, it can rally nationalist sentiment and bring together factions united by a common concern. On the other hand, confronting entrenched corruption networks means confronting politicians, donors, and power brokers. There is also the risk of uncovering complicity and undermining alliances. The easy way out is to continue to magnify the threat from without and to see the threat from within as secondary. Corruption is not secondary. Corruption is the daily drain from the public till, the betrayal of trust that distorts policy, drives up costs, and denies citizens basic services.

If true leadership is to mean anything, it must start with cleaning one’s own house. This means strengthening independent auditing bodies, protecting whistleblowers, enforcing strict transparency in procurement, and ensuring that no individual, regardless of position or connection, is exempt from investigation or prosecution. It also means regularly reporting to the public the status of major corruption cases. A nation cannot claim strength from without while it succumbs to decay from within. This requires discipline, courage, and integrity to first be applied to where it is most urgently needed – inside the halls of power.

Must be a scam

0

These notifications came in a row. “Your order has been received.” Then another: “Your items are being prepared.” And just a minute after that: “Shipped.” I was just browsing through the items for sale, and yet it seemed like I was suddenly a big spender on Temu, without me ever ordering anything. And I say that is just not right.

I recall looking at my phone, waiting for the punchline. There wasn’t any. These notifications just kept piling up like confetti during a fiesta that I never signed up to host. I didn’t hit “Place Order” by any chance. I didn’t confirm anything. I just looked. And yet, in just a span of minutes, it seemed like I had spent thousands of pesos shopping. And that is just not right. Not by a long shot. Not by any margin. That is just not right. And that, to me, is a big glitch. A big glitch. A big breach of trust.

I attempted to cancel immediately. I acted quickly, as quickly as my heart was beating, as quickly as my heart would normally pound during situations like these. And yet, the response from the system? Too late. Too late to cancel. Because the items were accordingly “in transit.” In transit to where? By whose authority? How does it work? How does it process, pack, and ship these items in just minutes without any buyer confirming anything?
Temu is also known worldwide for its aggressive use of push notifications, gamification of discounts, flash sales, and constant reminders to “claim” or “grab” limited-time deals. All of these are well-documented and easily verifiable. The issue here is the relentless nudging of the consumer towards a sale. But the sale itself is a far cry from finalizing and shipping the product without the consumer’s consent. A sale, by any definition of the word, is a mutual agreement. Without this, it is not a sale; it is a problem.

What troubles me the most is the speed at which the entire process supposedly took place. The system supposedly went from merely viewing the products to finalizing and shipping them within minutes. This is what troubles me the most. While the system’s efficiency is certainly a positive attribute, the lack of transparency makes it feel predatory. The use of technology should indeed make the consumer’s job of buying a product or service much easier. But should it be so smooth and seamless that it supersedes the consumer’s actual intent? The answer should be a resounding “no” if the consumer did not say “yes” in the first place.

And then, of course, there is the money. Thousands of pesos are not a trivial amount of money. This is money for the family’s weekly groceries, the children’s education, the bills, and gas. This is not a trivial amount of money. The amount of money involved is what makes the situation more worrisome. The fact that the system supposedly moved thousands of pesos under the consumer’s name without actual intent or actual action is a source of great anxiety. I should not have to justify using my money on a shopping app I merely opened to browse.

I cannot help but see this as part of a larger pattern of online commerce, one in which the lines between suggestion and commitment, between curiosity and consent, become blurred. The interface is fast, colorful, and compelling. The line between persuasion and permission, however, is clear. If the design of the application makes it easy for users to be charged unintentionally, or for cancellation to be all but impossible once a system flips a switch, something is fundamentally wrong. Consumers are not prey. We are not background characters in a logistics algorithm.

I’m not against online shopping. I love a good bargain, just like the next person. I’m shaken, though, and I’m angry, because this situation crossed a line. If there’s any moral to this story, it’s this: we must be vigilant with our accounts, verify our payment links, revoke our saved cards if needed, document all our transactions, and immediately inform the platform or, if needed, the authorities for consumer protection. There’s no compromise on digital convenience at the cost of our consent. And no one, absolutely no one, must be made to pay for something they did not choose to buy.

Recent Posts

DALMACIO C. GRAFIL
PUBLISHER

ALMA GRAFIL
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

ROMEO CEBREROS
OFFICE IN-CHARGE

OFFICE
BRGY. SONGCO, BORONGAN CITY

CONTACT NUMBERS
(055) 261 – 3319 | 0955 251 1533 | 0917 771 0320 | 0915 897 7439 | 0921 511 0010

DALMACIO C. GRAFIL
PUBLISHER

RICKY J. BAUTISTA
EDITOR

ALMA GRAFIL
BUS. MANAGER

OFFICE
RIZAL AVENUE, CATBALOGAN
(INFRONT OF FIRE DEPARTMENT, NEAR CITY HALL)

CONTACT NUMBERS
0917 771 0320 | 0915 897 7439 | 0921 511 0010

EMAIL
lsdaily2@yahoo.com

WEBSITE
www.issuu.com/samarweeklyexpress